Getting published is hard! Luckily, there are so many FREE resources available out there that can help make this process a little less overwhelming, help you practice your craft, and find community with other writers.
Writing Contests & Events
This is not an exclusive list by any means. I will try to keep the links up to date, but I can’t guarantee anything.
- PBChat (Twitter group, Community, Giveaways, Mentoring opportunities)
- Pitch Wars (Mentoring program, pitch contests)
- PBParty (Query to agents and editors)
- NaNoWriMo (Focuses on novel writing, Takes place in November)
- Storystorm (Brainstorming topics, Giveaways, Takes place in January)
- Writing with the Stars (Mentoring opportunities)
- ReFoReMo (Read & research mentor texts, Takes place in March)
- #50PreciousWords (Takes place in March)
- KidLit Fall Writing Frenzy (Takes place in October)
- Spring Fling Writing Contest (Takes place in April)
- Valentiny & Halloweensie & Holiday Writing Contests (Takes place in Feb, Oct, and Dec)
Writing & Publishing Resource Books
These are books that I have used myself and thought very helpful. I am not compensated for any purchases. If you can, use your local library.
- So You Want to Write a Children’s Book by Rebekah Sack (Query letters, Submission formatting, Cover letters, Marketing)
- Children’s Writer’s & Illustrator’s Market (Informative articles by authors, agents, and editors; Lists of publishers and agents)
These are some wonderful blogs to follow that are doing amazing things.