Getting published is hard! Luckily, there are so many FREE resources available out there that can help make this process a little less overwhelming, help you practice your craft, and find community with other writers.
Writing Contests & Events
This is not an exclusive list by any means. I will try to keep the links up to date, but I can’t guarantee anything.
- PBParty (Query to agents and editors)
- NaNoWriMo (Focuses on novel writing, Takes place in November)
- Storystorm (Brainstorming topics, Giveaways, Takes place in January)
- Writing with the Stars (Mentoring opportunities)
- #50PreciousWords (Takes place in March)
- KidLit Fall Writing Frenzy (Takes place in October)
- Spring Fling Writing Contest (Takes place in April)
- Valentiny & Halloweensie & Holiday Writing Contests (Takes place in Feb, Oct, and Dec)
Writing & Publishing Resource Books
These are books that I have used myself and thought very helpful. I am not compensated for any purchases. If you can, use your local library.
- So You Want to Write a Children’s Book by Rebekah Sack (Query letters, Submission formatting, Cover letters, Marketing)
- Children’s Writer’s & Illustrator’s Market (Informative articles by authors, agents, and editors; Lists of publishers and agents)
These are some wonderful blogs to follow that are doing amazing things.
- Picture Book Spotlight (Interviews with authors and agents, Giveaways)
- Josh Funk Books: Resources for Writers (Mainly picture book articles)
- Query Shark (Query letters)
Sign up for Abbi’s Newsletter to receive updates on Abbi’s publishing journey, new books, giveaways, book recommendations, event information, and more! Fill out the info below to get future issues delivered right to your inbox.